Meg's Change of Command

Today Meg got a new squadron and I saw it happen.
It was a rush of a day. I had stayed up late the night before reading from front to back the travel guide to Paris I got from Dad. Then I created a table in Word planning out my trip. My sleep schedule has been off this entire trip, so it wasn't hard staying up late, and oddly, it wasn't hard waking up in the morning. It was hard to stay awake in the mid-afternoons. I developed the art of napping. I napped multiple times a day, especially in cars.
But, due to staying up late and not having an alarm, I didn't get up as early as I had intended. Which meant I ran up and down two flights of stairs, my room was on the third floor, doing laundry, taking a shower and packing for Paris.
I dressed up fancy, in a pair of gray slacks that are too big now, a black long sleeve top tucked in, and my red, most expensive pair of shoes. I definitely have a strut in my step in those shoes.
We went on base, had lunch and then went to the hanger where the ceremony was going to take place. The term conspicuous took on new meaning. Imagine being the only person in civilian clothing surrounded by over a hundred people in uniform. The Sesame Street song ran through my head, "One of these things doesn't belong here. One of these things isn't the same."
Everyone seemed to have something to do. I stood and watched, which felt as awkward as it sounds I quickly realized that I had a part in the ceremony. During the practice the man at the podium said my name.
To take part in the event, I was kept in a back location with the other players in the show. As the event started a uniformed man (that description could fit 98% of the people in attendance) who was wearing glasses (now that is more specific....there weren't many people in glasses) was my escort. Another woman in civilian clothes (throughout the event there were only three of us not in uniform) was led out before me. She was directed by another uniformed man to take her uniformed man's arm. My uniformed man seemed kind of nervous and didn't offer me his arm. I broke the ice by whispering, "I think I am supposed to take your arm."
Grabbing his arm my inner goof ball came out. I leaned over to him while we were behind the stage, "So, you escort people often?"
His lips briefly quirked before reverting to solemnity and shyness, "No you are my first."
"I don't get escorted that many places either." We were now out in the open and talking was out. I thanked him as I sat down and the ceremony started.
It was choreographed like a dance, with a stiff, dignified air filling the hanger. Precision and eye contact were the words of the day. I was one of the few audience members looking around and taking it all in. Most everyone else stared straight ahead, as much an audience as a part of the show.
Speeches were made. I felt a little teary listening. I got mentioned and there was no way to duck or hide. Dad and I each got a present. My shy escort handed them to us. When the change of command occurred you could visibly see Meg's reaction, in a good way. Like a cloak you could see the relief, honor and responsibility draped on her shoulders. It was very interesting listening to people in her profession praise her for her drive, skill, success and ability.
Then, at the end, I stood in the receiving line and shook everyone's hand. A whirlwind of faces provided the only discerning trait within the mass of uniforms. But I was very proud of Meg.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home